Mary Kathryn Johnson - Mary's Blog

Tuesday

Am I Schizophrenic?

Anytime I hear the word 'schizophrenic' the picture that comes readily to mind is that of a toddler screaming at the top of his voice "I'M NOT MAD" when his mom asks him why he is mad. As the mother of two boys, I must have seen that scene somewhere before?

Well, that mental picture has now been replaced with a new one that fits the definition for most adults - a society screaming for 'green' living while shopping at Walmart. Those two things just don't go together. Walmart = disposable, cheap consumption, and Green = conscious, environmental action. Which is really most important to us as a species . . . "disposable, cheap consumption, or conscious, environmental action"?

To which group should we as small business owners market and sell our products? In my opinion, the answer to this question will ultimately spell success or failure for future entrepreneurs and inventors, just as it will spell success or failure for our planet.

I prefer to think that strength and honor will win out, and that we will all realize that quality products manufactured in a socially and environmentally conscious manner are the only products welcome in our lives and homes. My business and my sanity might be in jeopardy, but I just can't accept that we are all doomed to live a Walmart based life that will turn us into a WALL-E society, no matter the current state of our planet

Has our society turned into that Toddler? . . . Ask yourself, "Am I Schizophrenic?"

No comments: